• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Do I need to add a yeast nutrient for my Barley wine?

hollaj

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm about to brew an all extract Barley Wine style ale that if all goes well would be a 14.8% ABV beer. I've read conflicting reports on the web of the whether adding a yeast nutrient to the boil is necessary, but some do say that it's best to add it if brewing a high ABV beer to make full use of the pitched yeast during fermentation. I'd be interested in knowing anyone's thoughts/experience on this topic.

To achieve that high of an ABV your yeast will need all the help you can give it. Double pitch, Nutrient, starter to increase cell count, and oxygenation of wort prior to pitching will all help. Oxygenation is most critical for these type of brews to have success. You need to use a high alcohol tolerant yeast as most regular beer yeasts will not go that high. You may need to repitch with a champagne yeast ( or other high alcohol type yeast)after a while if the fermentation stops before full attenuation. I am thinking a turbo grain alcohol yeast is about the only one that will go that high.  I have trouble getting 10% from a high alcohol belgian trappist yeast, usually comes in at around 9.3% fully attenuated after a month or two.  I brew all grain though, and there are other factors like mash efficiency that reduce my theoretical 10%.  You should be fully experienced in brewing regular strength beers before attempting a very strong one I.M.H.O. as any brewing procedures not performed perfectly will have a larger negative impact  on your high strength brew. It takes a  highly skilled brewer to successfully achieve such a high alcohol content brew, I don't hear of many this high, most are around 11% tops. For me,the logical progression is after you've perfected 5-6% brews, go to 8- 10%. Work your way up in steps. If you have success try your 12-14%. I have a red shiraz wine going now that doesn't even get that high ABV.
Also you may want to do this after you have a large supply of brew built up as these big beers could tie up your fermentation equipment for a very long time.

twhitaker said:
To achieve that high of an ABV your yeast will need all the help you can give it. Double pitch, Nutrient, starter to increase cell count, and oxygenation of wort prior to pitching will all help. Oxygenation is most critical for these type of brews to have success.

Yup. +1 for this advice.

You need to use a high alcohol tolerant yeast as most regular beer yeasts will not go that high. You may need to repitch with a champagne yeast

Time tends to be the brewer's best friend for going higher than 10%. One of the most surprising yeasts for me has been American Wheat (a Kolsch variant). I'm constantly amazed at it's versatility. American Wheat yeast has made 12% barleywine for me, several times. It gets to about 8% in 10 days, and takes another three months to finish at 12 to 13%, but it's worth the wait.

Incremental feeding of the wort is another method for very high alcohol.

Some very good points. Thanks for your advice, especially regarding the type of yeast, and the suggestion to double pitch.

Maine Homebrewer said:
Do you leave it in the primary the entire time?

I'm using a conical fermenter, so I'm able to remove the oldest yeast. If it were a carboy, I'd rack at day 8 to 10, then again a month later and leave it sit until complete.

Back