• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BeerSmith's Fermentation Recommendation

EdwardGambrinus

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have been brewing for a year with about a half dozen extracts and all-grains under my belt. I recently started using BeerSmith and was surprised to see it recommends 4 days in primary, followed by 10 days in secondary and then 30 days aging in bottle.    The overall start to finish time (about 6 weeks) is consistent with everything I have read and heard to date.  However, BeerSmith's fermentation time is shorter and the bottle aging time is longer than anything else I have come across.  Why the difference?  I can understand how extending the bottle aging could improve the beer, but I am concerned about short cycling the fermentation period.  It seems to me this would significantly increase the likelihood of an under-fermented beer.  Should I be concerned?

BeerSmith does not 'recommend' anything.  The provided profiles are templates for you to design and implement your own fermentation schedule.  It happens to be one that some people may use, but it is not a recommendation.

Back