• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash Profile Grain Absorption Adjustment

mkblackmart

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Excellent software so far.

Would love to see Grain Absorption rate as an adjustable amount for individual mash profiles.

As it is, grain absorption is set at the BIAB or overall software level under advanced settings - along with the warning "Please be careful!". I (and others) use a hybrid BIAB method that is not full volume (i.e. there is the mash step with a brew bag in the mash tun, and a separate batch sparge after collecting initial runnings). For example, many line their mash tun coolers with a brew bag in lieu of a false bottom or bazooka screen. However, the size of the mash tun prevents full-volume mashing. To have the software separate mash and sparge water volumes (calculate strike temps, etc), you have to use a non-BIAB profile. When you do this the default grain absorption rate is .96 fl.oz/oz grain. Because this is a hybrid BIAB process, however, the brew bag allows for gravity drain and squeeze after sparging, so grain absorption is really at the BIAB .5860 rate. It would be nice if I could change the absorption rate right on the mash profile page, and have that rate automatically adjust the total volume of water needed for the recipe.

Currently, the only way I've been able to set up a mash profile that reflects distinct mash & sparge water quantities is using a non-BIAB profile as a template, and the higher default absorption rate that goes with it. To compensate, I had to go into Options...Advanced, and change the default absorption rate to match that of the full-volume BIAB mash profiles. That is fine for now, as this hybrid process is my go-to method, however if I ever scale up to much larger batches and decide to mash/sparge without a brewing bag (i.e standard grain bed), I'll have to remember to go back to the advanced settings, and reset the number to .96. If I don't, and I rely on the software for water volumes, I will end up low on volume in the pre-boil.

In short, an option to adjust grain absorption at the mash profile level would solve everything and future-proof the software as my brewing process expands/evolves.

Thanks!

I want to second the adjustment of the grain absorption as part of the equipment profile.  The current setting for BIAB does not allow for sparging so when I set up to do a hybrid BIAB profile, it does not use the BIAB water retention.  When I move outdoors to my mash tun set-up, this absorption is way too low.  Currently I work around this by adding a nominal amount of water as dead space in my mash tun to compensate for the difference in an average grain bill.

Back