• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hello!

DIYRachel

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello All! My name is Rachel and I love everything DIY, especially Beer! I have been a HUGE microbrew fan for over 25 years now! Living in Portland, Or for over 19 years I was exposed to so many great beers and brew festivals. My favorite is Rogue Ales with a location right in downtown Portland, and the winter ale fest which is amazing featuring over 50 microbrews. My boyfriend is a brew master in Napa, Ca and I own a tea company that I market online. I also write and Blog for Home Decorating & DIY.

I find learning about the brew process and experimenting with new flavors to be exciting! I cant wait to see the seasonal releases each year & whats happening next in the Beer industry.

Welcome to you Rachel.  You'll probably be interested to know that the Inaugural Pacific Northwest Homebrewers Conference is going to be held Friday, March 4th and Saturday, March 5th at the Vancouver Hilton (Downtown Vancouver, WA).  The homebrew club that I belong to (Cascadia Brewers Alliance) is the host homebrew club for this event.  Friday night is "Brewers Night", with many local craft and microbreweries serving their beers.  Saturday night is "Club Night", with homebrew clubs sharing their homebrewed creations.  Our club will have my keezer there with 5 beers on tap at all times.  We're going to rotate in some "very special brews" once per hour and have drawings for tastes of these.  These are "project" beers, such as barrel aged, or sours, or huge ABV creations.

I'm putting a photo of my keezer here.

This event is a private event, requiring that you go to the link I'm posting here and register in advance.  https://www.pnwhc.com/
No tickets will be sold at the door.  To stay within Washington State law, we have to sell the tickets in advance, in order to be able to serve homebrewed beer. 

There are also going to be seminars.  A bunch of them. This is the current list:

Brewing the Really Lazy Way
Zot O'Connor - unofficial Mad Scientist of the Mt. Si Homebrew Society

Brewing Award-Winning Beer with Extract
Alex Brehm - Best New Brewer at the 2015 Slurp & Burp

Cider Yeast: Which One Should I Use?
Paul Anderson - Brewer, Deschutes Brewery

Beer Flavor Profiles & Recipe Formulation
Rodney Kizbey - Winner of Samuel Adams Longshot competition twice & Midwest Homebrewer of the Year

Beer Judging 101
Steve Antoch - BJCP Grand Master II Judge, BJCP Assistant CEP Director

Burton Ale
Bill Schneller

Czech Beers - What I learned brewing from the Czech Masters
Annie Johnson - 2013 Homebrew of the Year, BrewMaster Recipe R &D at PicoBrew

Mead Making Basics
Tim Leber

Brewing and Serving Cask-Conditioned Ale at Home
Ben Edwards - 20 year homebrewer with 4 Cask Conditioned kegs at home!

Lessons I've Learned - Recipe Design and Beer Evaluation
Denny Conn - co-author of "Experimental Homebrewing" and the upcoming "Homebrew All Stars"

Going Pro: What Does a Beer Really Cost and Can You Make Money?
Mellie Pullman

Iron Brewer (Club Homebrew Competition)
Jeremy Speer

My Beer Does Not Taste Like IBUs
Jack Harris - Co-owner and founder of Fort George Brewery and Public House in Astoria, OR, 25 year brewing veteran

Big Beers 1.080 and Up
Jason Barker

Hard Cider 101: The Basics
Jeremy Frey

Wild Yeast 101
Matt Spaanem -  in 2014 only brewed with wild yeast he had harvested

Cleaning and Sanitation for Homebrewers
Chris Jackson & Donald Jones, Wesmar Co. - 25 year veterans of the cleaning and sanitizing business for professional breweries.

So, You Want to Go to Sierra Nevada Beer Camp?
John Lovegrove

Going Pro: Panel Discussion with PNW Brewers
Cameron Johnson - Founder, Incubator Brewery and Taproom.

Understanding the Power of Inverted Sugar
Jim Ladd - Founder of Cascade Beer Candi Company

Making Enzymes Work for You
Randy Scorby - 2011 National Homebrewer of the Year & BJCP continuing education director

Specialty Malts for Brewers
Teri Fahrendorf - Malt Innovation Manager for Great Western Malting, 20+ years of Brewing at Steelhead, 2014 Winner of Brewers Association's lifetime achievement Recognition Award

Attachments

• IMG_1089.JPG
    IMG_1089.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 339
Thank you Scott Ickes, for the info! I would love to be there, sounds like great fun, unfortunately I am in Napa Valley right now. Have a great time this weekend! I will look into the beers though, for sure!

Welcome! Living in Napa is ideal on every level. One of my most favorite places on the planet.

Back