• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Rye Coffee Stout Recipe Help

jcblockey

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm working on my first imperial stout recipe and was looking to get some input.  I've never been good at keeping things simple, so I added the rye to get a subtle spice and the lactose to add a little sweetness, the coffee and vanilla are added because, well, I love coffee stouts.  The recipe was made using BeerSmith.  I appreciate any questions, comments or recommendations!

J.C.

6.00 gal              Filtered Water Water
24 oz                  Rye, Flaked (2.0 SRM)                                        8.5 %
12.0 oz                Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)                              4.2 %
8.0 oz                  Carafa III (525.0 SRM)                                      2.8 %
8.0 oz                  Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)              2.8 %
8.0 oz                  Milk Sugar (Lactose) [60 min]                            2.8 %
12 lbs                  Extra Pale Liquid Extract [60 min](8.0 SRM)    67.6 %
2.00 oz              Cluster [7.00 %] [60.0 min]                            33.7 IBUs
1.00 oz              Willamette [5.50 %] [60.0 min]                        13.2 IBUs
2 lbs                  Dark Dry Extract [15 min](17.5 SRM)              11.3 %
2.0 pkg              California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) 
8.00 oz              Cocoa Nibs (Secondary)
8.00 oz              Coffee Grounds (Secondary)
2.00 beans          Vanilla Bean (Secondary)

Est Original Gravity: 1.105 SG
Est Final Gravity:      1.027 SG
Estimated ABV:        10.4 %
Bitterness:              52.1 IBUs
Est Color:                40.7 SRM

That's a whole lotta stuff.  My suggestion would be to simplify the hell out of it.  I have troubles envisioning the rye working well with the other ingredients.  Crystal could go.

Back