• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Outdoor Brew Shed

DIYRachel

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi All! I wrote this article on creative spaces in your outdoor shed, & I got the opportunity to meet and talk with Master Brewer, Chris Bowen. He built this amazing Brew Shed in Pennsylvania, and the Savant Brew System. Here is the article if you want to check it out; http://selectsheds.com/blog/8-creative-spaces

With Craft brewing being all the rage right now, a new trend in home brewing is popping up, Outdoor Brew Sheds! Thats right, why brew in your basement or garage, when you can custom build a home brewery right in your backyard for under $5000! That’s exactly what Master Brewer & beer historian, Chris Bowen did! Chris started brewing in his basement 8 years before he deciding he needed a larger space to brew his beer in. He opted to purchase an acre of land in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania that housed an old run down wooden shed. The 24 x 14 outdoor shed was then custom remodeled into what is now known as, HammerSmith Alehouse & Brewery.

IDEA-1-HOME-BREW-SHED-765x445.png

Building a Brewhouse in your yard is a wonderful idea DIYRachel..... providing you have the space, your HOA (if applicable) allows it and if your municipality (if applicable) allows it.  In my case, I had to answer "no" to all of the above.  So, I added a wall and I build my Brewhouse in my basement.  Water and drain was radially available, I had electricity and ventilation also available.  I built my system which includes a hot liquor tank, two mash/lauder tuns, a 15gal. boil kettle, a pump, plate cooler, burner and everything I needed for around $3,000.  The best part about it is that it makes brewing fun and not tedious as it was when I was brewing in my kitchen.

Attachments

• IMG_0777-1.JPG
    IMG_0777-1.JPG
    537.3 KB · Views: 2,724
That's awesome! Thanks for posting, I'd love to see pictures of the space! Too bad your neighborhood is so restrictive. Good job on finding space to utilize for your brewing. Chris bought a parcel of land with an existing shed on it because his brewing outgrew his basement:) Have a great day! I will be home brewing soon, and I cant wait to post my own experiences here! I'll be starting in my kitchen;)

Back