• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Flip top sanitization

WyattFNEarp

Apprentice
Reaction score
So, got a bunch of 1 liter flip tops to make the bottling process easier. Cleaned them and was getting ready to remove the gaskets and put the bottles in the dishwasher on the sanitize setting. Problem is the gaskets appear to be glued on. wth? Anyway, should I go forward with sanitizing the bottles in the dishwasher with the gaskets on or switch to the trusty star san method instead?

I'm new to beer brewing but have made wine for about 2 years now and I'm not a fan of sanitizing in the dishwasher. I did I once and it left an ugly residue from the hardness of my water. I would just use a no rinse sanitizer

I've seen gaskets glued to the flip top and I suspect the "glue" is old beer.

I pull the gaskets off and clean them with oxiclean, rinse well, and sanitize with Star San. Same process for the bottles. I doubt you get enough soap and water through the top to actually clean the inside of the bottle.

While I'm sure that old beer may cause gaskets to stick to the the ceramic topper, this is not that. It is definitely glued. They are used and are from a specific brewery. I have one other one not from that brewery that is unlabeled an the gasket comes right off. To successfully remove these gaskets I will in effect destroy them. I already was able to clean the bottles by using the homemade oxi mixture; worked great. Only planned on using the sanitizing setting on the dishwasher to sanitize... not clean the bottles.

I did opt to sanitize with star san instead. My thought was that the heat from the sanitize setting could ruin the gaskets.

It seems I will need to look to replace either the bottles soon or the entire swing top.

WyattFNEarp said:
While I'm sure that old beer may cause gaskets to stick to the the ceramic topper, this is not that. It is definitely glued. They are used and are from a specific brewery. I have one other one not from that brewery that is unlabeled an the gasket comes right off. To successfully remove these gaskets I will in effect destroy them. I already was able to clean the bottles by using the homemade oxi mixture; worked great. Only planned on using the sanitizing setting on the dishwasher to sanitize... not clean the bottles.

I did opt to sanitize with star san instead. My thought was that the heat from the sanitize setting could ruin the gaskets.

It seems I will need to look to replace either the bottles soon or the entire swing top.

Did you get each of these bottles with beer in them? If one is glued, I don't think it came from the brewery that way. if the design is two wires with the closure wire going through the cap, I'm certain that the gasket is supposed to be removable. Just use an Exacto knife to cut between the stopper and gasket, then replace the gasket. Replacement stopper assemblies are available at

If the closure is three wires or the closure wire goes through an eyelet on the tip of the stopper, don't use the bottle. It's an antique. If it has cork, it's definitely an antique. An antique beer bottle would be a great brewery talisman!

To successfully remove these gaskets I will in effect destroy them.

And if you leave them on, who knows that kinds of hitchhikers will get into the beer. Besides that, if they're old and dry then you won't get a good seal, which at best means flat beer and at worst infected beer. I have purchased gaskets for Grolsch-style bottles at the local homebrew supply store, and they're pretty cheap.  I'd suggest bringing a bottle into the store and seeing if replacement gaskets look like they'll fit. If they look good, then I'd replace them. If not then I'd go with different bottles.

I have 24+ of the same bottles from Howe Brewery, they all present the same. The exact knife might work but might still leave some residuals. They truly are glued though. Here's a pic, you can see how the gasket literally form fits the topper. These might be a bust. Though replacing the whole flip top assembly might work.

Attachments

• IMG_20160130_102921~2.jpg
    IMG_20160130_102921~2.jpg
    523.6 KB · Views: 4
@Maine, so providing I can't change the gaskets and the seals are good, you don't think that having let them soak in star san will sufficiently kill any hitchhikers? Maybe I should send them through the sanitize setting on the dishwasher after all. That would surely do the job. It's bottling day today too 😞

Ok. Sorry to beat a dead horse but I finally have some answers. The bottles I'm using are from Howe Sound Brewing. This brewery ships its beer capped while the flip tops lay to the side. To ensure the gasket doesn't come off during shipping they adhere the gasket to the topper (see pic). I'm not crazy!  :eek: Lol. I'm going to try to bottle anyhow. The gaskets seem quite supple still and appear to provide a good seal. In the end I'll replace the entire flip top for $1.25 each.

Thanks all for the help.

four-way-bottle.jpg

Back