• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hops at flame out

Steve1234

Apprentice
Reaction score
Have recipe that says add hops at flame out than dry hop with more hops in primary when do I take hops out that were added at flame out

Basically the flame out hops will only be in the wort from flame out, until you put your wort into the primary.  So, while the wort is being cooled, the flame out hops will be doing their work.  I have a valve on the bottom of my boil pot that I open to drain the wort into my fermenter.  When the fermenter is emptied of wort, the hops are left behind in the boil pot.

I use a hop spider.  At flame out I add the hops and wait 10-15 min. Works great!
Got it from: http://www.utahbiodieselsupply.com/brewingfilters.php
Was not cheep.

Thanks like that not seen anything like it in uk so it's a hop bag till I can find something better

Just let them settle while the pot is chilling. As in don't stir it if possible (I use an immersion chiller).  Then when you pour from the brew pot you do it carefully so as to leave most of the hops behind. If some get into the primary it isn't a big deal. They'll just settle out with the yeast and trub after fermenation.

Back