• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

OG going into boiler 1.3 versus 1.4

Wolfman69

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I used BS 1.3 up until this brew session with no problems. This sesion I used version 1.4...

It had my pre-boil estimated OG at 1.065 (75% brewhouse eff)... but my pre-boil came out to 1.056...  :eek:

The problem though is that if I view this recipe in Beersmith 1.3 with brewhouse eff set to 75%.. the Brewsheet shows my est pre-boil gravity to be 1.056..

So I'm not sure what is going on... what sucks is that I went ahead and added 1lb of DMe to get my pre-boil gravity right and now it looks like I did not need to based on BeerSmith 1.3...

Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: Looking things over... my equipment settings from 1.3 and 1.4 are exact. My evap rate.. etc exact. What is now really weird is that the pre-boil gravity that 1.4 gives me is correct per the boil-off calculator... so if 1.4 is correct... how could I have been hitting my gravity readinds dead-on with 1.3 going into the fermenter? very very strange....

Wolfman,
  I'm not sure what would be causing this.  Any chance you could send me your sample recipe?  I can run both versions on a debugger here and see if I can determine the differences.  Drop it in an email to my contact address and I will take a look at it.

Thanks,
Brad

Will do.

I'll send it this evening when I get home from work. Many Thanks!

Back