• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Twisted Dunkelweizen?

morgandallen

Apprentice
Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone would be willing to take a look at the below recipe and tell me if something is obviously out of whack...new to trying recipes from scratch.  The aim would be to get in the Dunkelweizen realm....thanks to all.

Extract w/ Steeped Grains
2 gal batch

Grains to Steep:
.5 lb Crystal Malt 20L (Steep 30 mins)
.25 lb Pale Chocolate Malt (Steep 30 mins)

Extract:
1.5 lb Amber DME (Boil 60 mins)
1.5 lb Wheat DME (Boil 60 mins)

Hops:
.5 oz Cascade (Boil 30 mins)

Yeast:
Daystar Munich Wheat

Estimated final stats (from BeerSmith2)
IBU: 16
SRM: 22
FG: 1.018

Thanks again for taking a look...I'm open to all constructive criticism!

Hi There - I just brewed a Dunkelweizen myself.  Mine was an all grain and a 10 gallon batch.  The only thing that sticks out to me worth mentioning is the hops potentially.  batch / hop ratio seems high to me as I only used 1 oz of hops for a 10 gallon batch, boiled for 60 minutes.  using the beersmith software that provided an IBU of 13.7.  Take in to consideration that I used Mandarina Bavaria hops with an alpha of 7.2%, which ultimately could affect your IBUs.  comparing an extract to All Grain batch is a little less intuitive also.. but hopefully that is helpful.  My recipe was 68% Wheat Malts (Wheat Pale, Wheat Flaked, Chocolate Wheat), and 32% (Vienna / Munich).  It should be ready in a few weeks to drink once ferment and kegging is complete. 

CS

Back