• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hop Swap: weight or alphas?

evilgiraffe

Brewer
Reaction score
So I'm doing a little experiment just to satisfy a curiosity I have that was sparked from a chart in Randy Mosher's Mastering Homebrew. I want to make two IPAs keeping everything else as constant as I can and just swapping out the flavoring and aroma hops. I want to use Cascade for one brew and then use Simcoe for the other. Originally, I just figured I would use the same weight of each at the same addition times and see what I got. But after some more thought, I'm wondering if the better way to compare them is to focus more on alpha acids and to try to match bitterness units as best I can. The Cascade I ordered is 5.5%AA and the Simcoe is 11.1%AA. I'm planning on a 20-minute (to go) addition, a 5 minute addition, and then dry hop once the fermentation settles down a bit.

So the question is: Should I match weights? Or alpha acid levels?

If I were doing the brewing you described, I would match the AAU or IBU contribution for each of the hop additions made during the boil when switching the hops.  For steeping and dry hopping, I would match the total hop oil content.  Matching the total oil content will take a bit of pencil, paper and calculator work.

Back