• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Jaggery Sugar in BeerSmith

mcfly6667

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm about to try the Dark Lord clone described in this (last) months issue of BYO  I'd like to stick to the ingredients list as close as possible and as I have done a few pretty big stouts, I have never used this Jaggery stuff they mention.  I'm familiar with adding an ingrediant via copy-past-edit (Turbinado) in BeerSmith but has anyone got recommendations of numbers I should tweak in its properties.  Color, Potential etc?  Granted, I can't imagine it would be very much different.  But I've never even seen/tasted it before.

...this should probably go in the BeerSmith 2 questions forum actually. 

With nearly all sugars, you can expect 100% yield (1.046) and Jaggery is in that class.

Jaggery is sometimes called Date or Palm sugar in some Indian markets. It's an unrefined sugar with just a little more residual moisture than brown sugar. Like most truly unrefined sugars, the color is about 10 srm.

Back