• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Yeast Starter - Will Not calculate Using More Than 1 Pack?

K

KellerBrauer

Greetings All,

I will be using a Yeast Starter with my next batch.  However, the starter size BS2 is asking for in my recipe is slightly larger than my equipment (stir plate, beaker, etc.) can handle.  The logical solution is to use more than one pack of yeast.  But BS2 will not allow me to change the number of yeast packs in the starter tab.  So, my question, would cutting my starter size in half and using 2 packs of yeast be the same?

Example
BS2 is asking for: 1 Pack of Yeast and 1800.00 ml Starter.
I'm Suggesting: 2 Packs of Yeast and 900.00 ml Starter.

Will this achieve the same results?

First, to edit the number of yeast packages in the starter page, click on the <edit> icon next to the yeast listing.  You can change the number of packages, the date of manufacture and any other spec on the yeast.

Another way to do this is to jump back to the design page and increase the yeast packages to 2

Second, you may get some cell growth with a starter less than 1 liter, but it is unlikely you will double the cell count with a full packet (despite what a calculator tells you).  Likewise, you will not get much of yeast growth with 2 packages of yeast and a 1 liter starter .  In both cases the number of yeast cells competing for food means little energy goes towards replication.  If you want to use 2 packets of yeast, I would recommend taking one package with a 1 liter starter and then adding the second package when pitching. 

Thanks Oginme - I understand how to change the package yeast quantity in my recipe.  However, I was unsure if cutting the starter size in half while doubling the yeast package count would equal out.  Your explanation is clear that it would NOT equal out.  That being said, I agree that making a starter according to BS2 recommendations and then adding the second yeast package at pitching time is the best solution.

Thanks for your advise!!

Back