• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash pH question

raysmithtx

Apprentice
Reaction score
The ability to click "Calculate Best Additions" button in the water profile tool is great. The problem is that Beersmith does not calculate mash pH. So I have to go to Brunwater, enter the grains and then enter the additions and then figure out how much lactic acid to add to get the pH down to my target. Are there any plans to allow  Beersmith to calculate mash pH based on the grains entered? And then calculate how lactic acid or phosphoric acid impacts the pH? It's redundant to have to enter all the info into Brunwater since all the info is already in Beersmith.

I'm just thinking out loud here and hoping this is being considered in future updates.

Thanks.

Thanks,
  This is something I've been working very hard on for BeerSmith 2.3 and hope to have it out in a few months.]

Brad

I just got the update and the mash pH still doesn't adjust with water additions. Can you walk me through anything I may not be getting here?

The dilemma I ran into is that a water profile can include water additions and the program adds those water additions when you add the water profile - so the water profile is assumed to have the additions in it.

This means if you want a custom water profile you need to use the water profile tool (Tools->Water Profile) first, then save the additions to the water profile before using that in a recipe.

Brad

Thanks! I'll give that a look and see how it goes. I'm still acclimating to the software generally so I am likely missing some steps. I am trying to consolidate and make a full transition to BS from BF. I have lots more reading to do...

Rather than duplicating the entire water profile tool in the recipe dialogs, you can create a water profile for brewing in the water profile tool and save the additions to the target water profile.  Then when you add that water profile to a recipe it will prompt you to use those water additions as well.  That way the water profile represents the water you are using (with additions) in the recipe.

Brad

I too am trying to get acclimated to the new features and so far I like what I see (good job!).

However, I have an observation I would like to note: unless I'm doing something wrong, shouldn't the projected (or estimated) mash pH drop if Latic acid, for example, is added to the recipe as an ingredient addition?  I also have to use Brun Water to develop my water profile and tell me what I need to adjust the pH.  It makes more sense to use the pH properties of the ingredient in the recipe calculation.  Does that sound logical?

It does make sense, but what I decided to do was let you take a pH measurement and calculate the acid needed rather than having you "guess" how much acid was needed for a given pH adjustment.  I believe you should measure the pH and set a target for each batch since pH can vary from batch to batch.

Brad

Now I understand. Thanks for your rapid response and keep up the great work!!!

Would this also apply to Acidulated malt? I have been toying around with it and 35 pounds of acidulated only brings the est pH down .03pH from the original value only using .5lbs. How should I account for this without resorting to another application?

The new version of BeerSmith has acid malt as an option for doing pH adjustment.  You would follow the same process as you would for an acid adjustment - make the mash, measure the pH, enter the measurment and target pH and then select "Acid Malt" as the acid to use in the drop down and it will calculate the amount needed.

Brad

I just finished a post here detailing how to use the new mash pH and water tools from creating a water profile, doing water analysis, to adjusting your mash pH.
  http://beersmith.com/blog/2016/08/10/using-the-new-brewing-water-and-mash-ph-tools-in-beersmith-2-3/

Hopefully it will help!

Brad

I just followed your detailed instructions to the letter and everything worked out as you stated.  Very nice work on the software and very nice work on the detailed instructions!  You're making brewing so easy!!  I'll be putting the calculations to the test this weekend while brewing a Hefe!!  :)

Thank you so much. I was trying to use this new pH feature but I wasn't able to make it work. But now I understand it. The pH feature is in "reacting" mode so you can use it to adjust the pH in real time instead of adjusting it based on theorical estimates prior to brewing.

Since I'm adjusting the mash pH by using acid malt, I find it not realy convienient to start the mash, read the pH value and then weigh some malt, crush it and add it to the mash, I was thinking about copying the estimate pH value into the measured pH value and then the software will tell me how much acid malt I should add to the mash prior to start the mash so I wont have to weigh and crush malt again. I know it wont be perfect, but I should be close to the right pH range. What do you think ?

I just got the update and the mash pH still doesn't adjust with water additions. :)

Have you considered the possibility that no additions are necessary? I know one of my recipes had a zero addition also. So I guess, in that recipe, my water was within the range of the target profile.  So far, this tool is working quite well!

We all have are own brewing processes but acid malt is pale treated with acid. My 2 cents worth it's easier to not use acid malt a nd ajust your PH with acid when needed.

Back