• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Primetabs

BeerSmith

Staff member
Administrator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I was looking at Primetabs as an easy way to bottle a few bottles for competitions/friends without a lot of setup.

Anyone have good luck with them?  How many would you add to achieve a normal American (2.3-2.6 volume) carbonation level in a 12 oz bottle?

Thanks!
Brad

Hi
I haven't tried prime tabs yet but was just looking through the more beer catalog use 3-5 per 12 oz bottle for lower carbonation use 3 tablets and for higher carbonation use 5 tablets.
I hope this is somewhat of a help, been thinking of trying them myself.  :)

Thanks!

I may give them a try on my next batch - I just need a few bottles for friends (the rest gets kegged).

Welcome too!

Brad

I was looking into them as well, but my local supplier (I can't quite call it a LHBS, since its a liquor store with some supplies) only had those Coopers carbonation drops like on the back of BYO.  They worked pretty decent, and it took only one for a 12 ounce bottle...
Not quite what you were looking for, but another option.
T

Thanks!
 I'm really just looking for a quick way to bottle a few from each batch for competitions and gifts.

I use a keg all of the time and have a CP filler, but I don't usually want to go through all of the setup and cleaning associated with the CP filler just to fill a few bottles.

Thanks again!

Brad

I have used Coopers priming tablets, and had very good results. In fact, I usually brew about 6 gallons . So I keg 5 and bottle 1 gallon. Using the coopers tablets gives me a fairly good carbonation in the bottle without trying to figure out how much extract to use. I hope this is helpfull! :p

I'm looking to do the same, however, keg three gallons and bottle two.  I think you only need 2-3 primetabs to get an average carbonation level.  what about sanitation of the prime tabs?  Once you open the package of prime tabs can't they get infected?

cheers,

borny

Usually with Prime Tabs you'll need 4-5 for a 12-oz bottle to get good carbonation. I've had an open package for over a year and they worked perfectly without any contamination problems.

I bought my Coopers tabs from www.Austinhomebrew.com. They worked very well. You only need one tablet for 12oz. and 2 tabs for 22oz. bottles. I have reused the same bag for 3 batches and have had no problem with sanitation. But I do spray my hands with alcohol first and during my bottling procedure. ;D

... what about sanitation of the prime tabs?  Once you open the package of prime tabs can't they get infected?
I beleive that the concept is the same with pretzels etc.  There just isn't anything for bacteria to live on.  If they are sitting in a little water, look out, but otherwise they are fine.  The acidity and alcohol content of the finished beer also helps...
Cheers
T

Well, then if there's no real problem with using the prime tabs.....  I best get strarted on bottling!

Back