• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

diastatic power, % protein in malt and alpha acids

betancort

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello everyone

i am david from Spain first i want to say sorry if i have mistakes writing in english.

the reason i am writing this post whit the doubts i have becausei have several doubts about diastatic power, % protein in malt etc etc.

so first how can i calculate the diastatic power and how to use it with a recipe? because if a want to brew a wheat beer with some adjuncts you should be know it because it can give you the information how much 2 row or 6 row malts you can use with the raw corn or wheat or whatever. And also you can adjust the amount of grain and save money :). because if you open a business i think is what you need to do.

also because i want to use this information to introduce in the beer smith.

The second one is about the % of protein in the malt if you brewed a beer with a malt and this malt had 10% of protein and the second brew have 12%. how do i know if i have to do a rest of protein at the temperature of 55ºC and how long i have to leave this rest?

also about the calculation of hop oils, because i read a recipe where the brewer talked about:

Alpha acids:
  humulone 40-80%
  cohumulone 14-50%
  adhumulone 5-15%
cohumulone harshness
    can start at levels over 30%

So if the brewer use this hop data is because after will be better to reproduce the recipe. so i would like if someone know about all these doubts and can help me how to use before and after a recipe. Or with some good advance books where they explain it well, using as well a recipe like explanation or something.

i want to know how to use all this information and calculate together to add to the beer smith software and i think after will be easer to reproduce the recipe if you know to calculate it and after if you have to change something in the recipe with another malts or hops you can do it.

because when you use beersmith you have all the information about malts and hops and those data can change so if someone can help me :)

HELP!!!! and Sorry for my english again, i hope i explained it to you well what i am looking for and thank you so much to everyone in advances :) PEACE!

Welcome to the forum, David.

betancort said:
the reason i am writing this post whit the doubts i have because i have several doubts about diastatic power, % protein in malt etc etc.

Most of the information you're looking for is found on a Lot Analysis, performed by the malting company on each batch of malt they make.

What's found in BeerSmith is usually taken from the target specifications that the maltster published as general guidelines for their products. For accuracy, you still need a malt analysis.

BeerSmith doesn't use diastatic power, protein or moisture content in its calculations. Perhaps it might in a future update, but I don't have insight into the development plans.

The thing to know is that most pale base barley malt has enough diastatic power to convert at least double its own weight. This will diminish with increasing color and moisture content. There are exceptions on both sides, but the malt analysis will tell you.

The second one is about the % of protein in the malt if you brewed a beer with a malt and this malt had 10% of protein and the second brew have 12%. how do i know if i have to do a rest of protein at the temperature of 55ºC and how long i have to leave this rest?

Protein breakdown happens most at the maltster. Research shows that so little protese survives modern kilning that most of the breakdown in a protein rest is the result of protein solubility, not enzymatic breakdown.

also about the calculation of hop oils, because i read a recipe where the brewer talked about:

Alpha acids:
  humulone 40-80%
  cohumulone 14-50%
  adhumulone 5-15%
cohumulone harshness
    can start at levels over 30%

So if the brewer use this hop data is because after will be better to reproduce the recipe.
What you have there is a generalized ratio of alpha acid content. Alpha acids provide the bittering power, Hop oils are the aromatics and are not part of the IBU calculation. The total alpha acid content will be provided which is the percentage by weight of the hop.

Often you'll see the CoHumulone expresses as a percentage of the total alpha percentage. Yes, at 30% or above, those hops might display "harshness," but that doesn't tell the whole story. I use the term "coarseness" to describe the texture, because it isn't always harsh and can give complexity to the bittering profile.

Or with some good advance books where they explain it well, using as well a recipe like explanation or something.

How To Brew, by John Palmer is the best introduction book on all brewing topics. I don't know if there is a spanish translathion, though. I hope there is.

Back