• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

reinstall can't get old recipes

Ilovebeer

Brewer
Reaction score
Had a hard drive crash. I recovered all my data from old drive, replaced drive, reinstalled Windows, downloaded and installed Beersmith, restored all my documents from recovered data. Old beersmith data was in documents\my documents\beersmith2. New BS install has data in documents\beersmith 2. I copied all the files from the old one into the new one. None of my recipes show up in My recipes. Went to archive, there they are. Moved one to my recipes, works fine. So should I find the latest archive of each one and do the same, or is there a better way? Also, my profiles are not there, and ingredients I have added are also missing. Can you tell me how to recover?

Did the reinstall create folders inside of /Documents/BeerSmith2?

The backup should be pasted to replace the /Documents/BeerSmith2 folder. The only folders that should be in there are "Archive" "Reports" and "Updates." Sometimes the transfer creates additional folders that BeerSmith ignores.

It did not create new folders. I copied all the files from my backup Beersmith 2 folder into the new Beersmith 2 folder. No recipes show up in My recipes except the samples

Your backup files should have 6 versions of each file. There is one that is unnumbered (Recipe) then five more (as RecipeX). If you don't, then you have a copy of the root program folder.

You don't have to copy them one at a time.

With the backups available, open BeerSmith.

File > Open File
Find the backup /Documents/BeerSmith2 folder
Click "Recipe".
You should see your recipe list. Highlight all recipes (Shift-RTN), then copy and paste them to the default recipe tab that opens with BeerSmith.

For Equipment, Carbonation, Cloud, CustFields, open them and highlight your custom profiles, then paste them into their respective database tabs.

Thank you so much. This worked. I could not find an Age profile in the tree of the new copy, but I had only one custom age profile. Certainly acted flakey but with persistence, I think I got it all.

Back