• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

hop aroma & flavor

LowellR

Apprentice
Reaction score
I brewed a Mild as a flavor and aroma test for a hop I have never used before. The hops were Phoenix just purchased and were sealed in vacume pack. the recipe was 6lbs MO, 1lb Munich, 8 oz CarapilsDextrin,2 oz Choc malt & 1 oz Black Patent. 1.25 oz Phoenix @ 60 min, 3.50 oz Phoenix steeping for 20 min. All the numbers were spot on, fermented at 68 deg., 3 weeks ago. There is no hop flavor or aroma. Phoenix profile is 6.6 AAU and described to be similar Cascade. Question is any advice as to how to save this beer?

Whoever told you Phoenix is similar to Cascade has no idea what they are talking about. I've used Pheonix a couple of times. It's a dual purpose British hop mostly used for bittering. It's similar to Challenger and nothing like Cascade.

I agree with Roadrocket on the Phoenix vs Cascade.  Also, an English mild is a malt driven beer and not a good one for using to test hop aroma and flavor.  Most people use SMaSH recipes (Single Malt and Single Hop) using something like an American pale ale for guidelines on IBU vs gravity. 

I've done a few of these styles of beer to test out different hops types so that I have a more comprehensive idea of what flavours they can give. The way I do it is to do an addition at 60 minutes, 10 minutes, and then dry hop. So, you could possibly try dry hopping the beer if you want to see what that does? It's an experiment anyways for you with this hop type.

When brewing a SMaSH beer, I am not looking to stock up on a lot of bottles that I need to work my way through.  I will do 4 liter recipes (6 liter pre-boil), 40 minute boil with hops added at 30 min, 15 min, 5 min, and whirlpool.  I aim for a calculated 10 IBU at each addition, so the hop volume increases as the boil progresses.  This produces about 8 to 9 bottles, half of which will be dry hopped with a gram of hops.  from this I get a really good idea of the strength and harshness of the bittering in addition to a good profile of the flavors and aroma.  Plus, if the hop is really uninteresting, I don't have a full case of bottles hanging around taking up space. 

Back