• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

My suggestions

T

Tarindel

Here are a few suggestions I'd like to see in future versions:

1) Beersmith seems to be set up with the idea that you'll make any recipe you put into BeerSmith.  For example, all recipes need a calendar date, have a taste rating, have a spot for measured OG and FG, etc...  None of these are really applicable if you haven't actually made the beer yet.

I'd like some way to mark a recipe as "not brewed yet".  This would:
1a) Set the calendar date to NULL or some canonical date
1b) Grey out taste rating, or set it to 0
1c) Set measured OG and measured FG to estimated OG and FG automatically
1d) Sort recipes by estimated alcohol content instead of actual ABV

1e) The ability to set different columns in the brew log (eg. rating, date brewed) than in other folders (because those columns aren't applicable for beers I haven't made yet)

2) Calculate estimated BV ratio (http://beercolor.netfirms.com/balance.html)

3) A different icon for "must mash" grains so specialty grains that can be steeped stand out better

4) The ability to use ctrl-a to select everything in a note for pasting to another editor

5) When doing a late-extract boil with LME, the overall IBU calculation changes, but the individual IBU calculations for each of the hops does not.  Consequently, the total no longer matches the sum of the individual hops IBUs.

That's it for now.  This is a fantastic program!

Hi,
  Thank you for the many suggestions.  I will certainly print this list out and save it for a future version.  We are looking at the possibility of separating some session data from the main entry screens to make it easier.  I also like your other ideas and thanks for sending the article on beer balance.

Cheers!
Brad Smith
beersmith.com

Back