• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

adding extract potential to new grain ingredients

Fred

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi, I'm using malts from a local floor malting here in South England (Tuckers). I would like to add their extract potential into Beersmith, but all I can find on Beersmith is potential extract in Lintner and expected gravity.

The maltsters here give me extract 305-310 for Maris Otter.
Many thanks

The designation you have is how many liters of 1.001 SG wort that 1 kg of malt will yield.

BeerSmith is looking for the yield of 1 lb of malt to make 1 gallon of wort. In both cases. we will deduct the 1.000 value and just use the numbers to the right of the decimal, as points.

It's a pretty simple conversion.

1 lb = 0.4536 kg
1 gallon = 3.785 liters

Yield = (extract * 0.4536) / 3.785

Yield = 37.15 points = 1.037

Thank you> So how do I calculate diastatic power from there, what is indicated in Beersmith in Lintner? Does the diastatic power have a direct impact on my extraction predictions in Beersmith?

As of this writing, BeerSmith doesn't use the diastatic power of the malt to predict gravity. A future update may include diastatic potential, but I'm not privy to any plans. BeerSmith predicts gravity based on the Brewhouse Efficiency of your system. Please read up on this (plenty of threads and stickies on this site) as it is different than Mash Efficiency.

Back