• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hello from Sydney

Blackfriar

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello all,

I used to be an all grain brewer about 20 years ago, then this huge storm came blew away my brew-shed away.  I just never go back into it again.  Too busy I suppose, what with a business to run and kids and all.  I'd been thinking of getting back into it for a few months, when I came across a 150 litre (about 40 US Gal) gas indirect kettle going cheap, and well, just couldn’t resist it!  This started me off assembling equipment to suit and very very soon I'll be ready to put my first batch on.

Can anyone tell me if there is anything special that I should watch out for if I use some of the BeerSmith sample recipes and scale them up to 120 litres?  I'm using the file menu Actions, Scale Recipe, Equipment.

Cheers,
Mike

Welcome Mike,
  The main difference with a really big batch is that you are going to achieve slightly higher brewhouse efficiency and dramatically higher hop utilization.  The first will be a few percent, but the hop difference could be substantial.  You will likely need as little as half as much hops.

Unfortunately it is very difficult for me to tell you what the actual hop numbers will be.  You need to find someone with a similar size setup to tell you what a comparable hop utilization will be.  There is a large hop utilization factor in the equipment settings you can set once you know the correct number to enter.

Brad

Back