• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Can BeerSmith 2 run on a Raspberry PI ??

DamoR

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys

Does anyone know if BeerSmith 2 can run on a Raspberry PI ??

DamoR said:
It won't. BeerSmith is available for PCs running Windows or Linux, or Mac. This makes it Intel processor compatible only while the Raspberry Pi uses an ARM processor. That's just one of many downsides of closed-source software.

wolf said:
DamoR said:
It won't. BeerSmith is available for PCs running Windows or Linux, or Mac. This makes it Intel processor compatible only while the Raspberry Pi uses an ARM processor. That's just one of many downsides of closed-source software.

Are we 100% sure on this, as Rasperry Pi has always run a Linux based OS called Raspian (currently "Jessie") which is based off the Debian platform. Also now with the Raspberry Pi 3 B release they have adapted a Windows 10 LoT platform.

Intel Processor only??, but you say it runs on MAC and Linux (which is open source)...does this also mean it will not run on an AMD processor being its restricted to Intel Processors only?

Gweedo said:
Are we 100% sure on this, as Rasperry Pi has always run a Linux based OS called Raspian (currently "Jessie") which is based off the Debian platform. Also now with the Raspberry Pi 3 B release they have adapted a Windows 10 LoT platform.
It sounds like you're confusing operating systems with the hardware they're running on.

A little simplified: different hardware platforms require different versions of the same operating system. Linux or WIndows running on a normal PC, which is based on an Intel or AMD processor, must be recompiled from scratch to run on, say a Raspberry PI, because it uses an ARM processor.

Nothing that runs on an Intel processor will run on an ARM processor, and vice versa. This is why you can't download a version of Ubuntu configured for an Intel or AMD based PC and have it run on a Raspberry PI. You must download an ARM version of Ubuntu for that.

The same goes for any program you try to execute on the hardware. If I release a program that runs on an Intel machine (Linux, Windows, Mac, or something else), this program will never work on a non-Intel machine such as a Raspberry PI. I'll have to release an ARM version of the program for the Raspberry PI.

Intel Processor only??, but you say it runs on MAC and Linux (which is open source)...does this also mean it will not run on an AMD processor being its restricted to Intel Processors only?
No, AMD processors are compatible with Intel processors. ARM processors aren't, however.

But I can download most anything that runs on linux on my PC to my Raspberry Pi. So to stay on topic with brewing. I can run the exact same source code of BrewPi on my Raspberry Pi which is running Raspian Jessie, as I can on my Intel based laptop with Debian Jessie...one being Intel processor and one being ARM processor all from the same source code on Github. Yes I know that BrewPi is open souce, but I just used that as an example as the same code running on 2 different systems with similar OS (one Raspian and the other Debian)

Gweedo said:
But I can download most anything that runs on linux on my PC to my Raspberry Pi.

Yes, and that's because you're downloading different versions of the same program: on the PC, you'll be downloading a version that is capable of running on a PC. On your Raspberry PI, you'll be downloading a version that is capable of running on the Raspberry PI. You're not downloading identical files even if they provide exactly the same functionality on different kinds of computers.

So to stay on topic with brewing.

Yes, please, but you' asking about things that have nothing to do with brewing!

I can run the exact same source code of...

No, you can't. Source code can run nowhere. It needs to be compiled (i.e., translated) to a specific processor before it runs, and then it will run on this particular processor (and those compatible) only. This means that the same source code will translate into different final code on an Intel processor than on an ARM processor. The final translation will run on only one of these processors, not both, so to make the same program available for two different processors, you have to compile it twice, one program for each processor.

Yes I know that BrewPi is open souce, but I just used that as an example as the same code running on 2 different systems with similar OS (one Raspian and the other Debian)

The key about open source is that if the original author doesn't release a version that runs on another processor (such as the Raspberry PI), everyone else can compile the code so that it will. But if the author doesn't release the source code, that is, making it openly available, no-one can create a version that will run anywhere else.

So to stay on topic with brewing.

Yes, please, but you' asking about things that have nothing to do with brewing!

Wow taking that next step to smartarse, well done....very pro of you, but not really called for as I am just saying that I can do a sudo apt-get for the BrewPi GUI that is capable to run on my PC and my Raspberry Pi just as long as I have a Linux OS, and if you actually go to Github and see the files for download personally it is only written as one program, not multiple programs to run on multiple devices, just as long as its Linux. You just have to use Putty on windows to access Python for updates or any editing.

and as far as your creative smartarsness, I think the subject of the title of this post has been maintained, I just furthered it by including another brewing software

Gweedo said:
Wow taking that next step to smartarse, well done....very pro of you, but not really called for as I am just saying that I can do a sudo apt-get for the BrewPi GUI that is capable to run on my PC and my Raspberry Pi just as long as I have a Linux OS, and if you actually go to Github and see the files for download personally it is only written as one program, not multiple programs to run on multiple devices, just as long as its Linux. You just have to use Putty on windows to access Python for updates or any editing.

Look, I'm speaking as someone who has actually developed Linux applications for years, and as someone with a masters degree in this stuff. You don't seem to understand that computers aren't equal simply because they're capable of running the same operating system. That's fair enough, but at least try to recognize it when someone with real knowledge tries to educate you; instead, you react by reducing my "karma" on this board, so this will be my last attempt to explain this--or anything else--to you.

Two identically-named and identically-versioned Linux distributions running on an ARM-based computer and an Intel-based computer are indeed the same operating system, but they are VERY different code. And for any same program to run on either, it has to be very different code. Just because some program is available on Linux for a PC doesn't mean it's available for the same version of Linux on Raspberry PI.

If BeerSmith had been open source so that anyone could download it from Github or wherever, then it would probably be straight-forward to port it (as it's called) to a Raspberry PI. But alas, it isn't, and unless either Brad decides to compile it specifically for a Raspberry PI or the folks behind the Raspberry PI make their hardware fully PC compatible (the former being the least unlikely), BeerSmith won't run on a Raspberry PI, and never will.

I reduced your karma because of the smart arsed flame attack (forum troll), but I see this is a tit-for-tat battle and you blessed me with the same in return, typical childish game.

Actually, I gave you a "smite" for being a forum jerk. But don't worry: I'll never attempt to help you another time.

As Brad advised, there is no known instance running on the Pi. 

Beersmith 2 is a compiled program which was compiled for Intel x86 processors.  Brad would have to compile it for ARM processors to run on Raspberry Pi.  There are programs for running x86 emulation on the Pi but they are a lot of work and Beersmith still may not run.

So, while it may be possible to get it running on a Raspberry Pi, it will be a lot of work, cost extra money for an x86 emulator, still may not work and there is no support working or not.

Good Luck and Happy Brewing!

jomebrew said:
As Brad advised, there is no known instance running on the Pi. 

Beersmith 2 is a compiled program which was compiled for Intel x86 processors.  Brad would have to compile it for ARM processors to run on Raspberry Pi.  There are programs for running x86 emulation on the Pi but they are a lot of work and Beersmith still may not run.

So, while it may be possible to get it running on a Raspberry Pi, it will be a lot of work, cost extra money for an x86 emulator, still may not work and there is no support working or not.

Good Luck and Happy Brewing!

Hi guys, sorry to bump this post but it's the only post talking about my question. I am wondering if BeerSmith will ever be compiled to be compatible with ARM processors? I'm on a Chromebook and have the ability to run Linux applications, but my system is ARM-based, so no x86.

I know its a longshot but I just figured I would inquire! The mobile version is fine for now, but I would love the full desktop experience!

as an aside, so glad this got bumped, what a fantastic read. Would love to hear more of Gweedos infinite knowledge and see his raspberry pi running BS...

Back