• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Can someone help, Not sure whats off or what to adjust to get accurate gravity??

pknotlost

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have done a couple of brews using the software and followed the software directions pretty close, and i'm getting it dialed in with water, waste ect. But one thing I don't know how to correct is as follows..

I am checking the brews pre-boil gravity and am getting a higher gravity  (beersmith says I should get 1.042 and I actually get 1.046). And then post boil beersmith says i should be at 1.047SG and i'm at 1.054.

Thats an example of my last brew, the one before it was similar as well.

So what in my set up is off?  Is my efficiency higher that what I have it set to?  I believe I have it set to 73%

Thanks

Yes, your efficiency is much better than the 73% you have plugged into BeerSmith.  When you enter your actual numbers into BeerSmith for volumes and gravity, the program will calculate your actual mash and brew house efficiency.  You will find the actual mash efficiency on the mash page and the actual brew house efficiency on the fermentation tab.  Use the Brew house efficiency o update your equipment profile, plugging in your actual losses for dead space, trub, and boil rate. 

Back