• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

First Brew since I was a student in 1833 *( it feels!)

Jim McGregor

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am brewing my first batch since I was at university in the UK, 1980 approx.!! I couldn't find bottles then, so half the lager ( boo) went into cleaned salad cream (mayonnaise) catering size jars, and yep, tasted like mayonnaise! And yep, we drank every drop!

Now restarting, bought a kit but with real grain, and am brewing a Brewers Best Robust Porter. Has been bubbling away for a week and a day, I haven't dared lift the lid on the brew bucket! I topped it up at start to 5 gallons without checking the OG ( rookie mistake!) so it may be a little weak, started at OG 1.045, not the 1,051-1.055 it should have been. I am hoping the longer it bubbles the better, but I am getting nervous...

But it's been exciting so far! I hope I have something drinkable at the end of it, if not, next time I will!!!

All the best,

Jim

Back