• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Maple syrup

ned

Apprentice
Reaction score
On  a whim I just added 2 lbs of pure homemade maple syrup to a five gallon batch of amber ale that had been in primary for five days. Looking for feedback on what I can expect. Ruined batch or good beer?

Ruined batch or good beer?

Good beer. I used maple sap instead of water for the mash and everything, and it was one of the best beers I've ever made. Didn't taste like maple syrup, but it did have a pleasant "woody" kind of taste to it.

I have been tossing around the idea of using sap instead of water for a while. You just convinced me to give it a shot! What type of beer did you use it with?

Checked through my notes and couldn't find it. Pretty sure I made a lager with some darker grains like Special B for sweetness and roasted barley for color and nutty flavor, while going light on the hops. This is one that could use a fairly high mash temperature, round 155, since the bigger body will bring out the flavor left behind by the maple.

The maple flavor will be subtle, so if you make a big beer with tons of malt and hops you may not notice the special ingredient. Go with something mild, like a brown ale or a bock.

Good beer. I used maple sap instead of water for the mash and everything, and it was one of the best beers I've ever made. Didn't taste like maple syrup, but it did have a pleasant "woody" kind of taste to it.
[/quote]

I read an article in BYO on using maple sap water and wanted to try it.  But, I have not been able to source the maple sap water.  I even emailed BYO.  They were very quick and kind in their response, but were not able to point me in the right direction.  Do you know of an online resource for sap water?  A quick search on my end found no useful results.

Any help is appreciated.  Happy Brewing

But, I have not been able to source the maple sap water.

I don't know where you live, but here in the Northeast there are tons of people who make their own syrup. Funny thing. I was gassing up my car and some guy on an adjacent pump was filling a trunk full of gas cans. I struck up a conversation with him and he said the gas was to power pumps for maple sap. I got a business card from him and a week later (after driving several miles on an unplowed and poorly maintained dirt road after a snow storm) I was brewing with maple sap.  I don't remember how much he charged, but it wasn't significant.

So I would look around and see if anyone in your area produces maple syrup. If so, I'd contact them and see if they'll sell you some sap next time it is running.

Back