• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Low Mouthfeel

Futur3H4wk

New Forum Member
Reaction score
At the brewshop tonight someone brought in a beer, it was a nice little pale ale with good flavor but very low mouthfeel. Given the recipe  and his gravities I don't understand why it was so watery. recipe was something like (5 gal) 4 Lbs Munich, 5 Lbs 2 row, 1 Lbs Carapils, 1 Lbs C20. OG 50 something FG 10. he uses us05. Any thoughts on why? He bought some maltodextrin for future batches which should help but I can't figure out what caused the problem.

Could be in the mash schedule;if he used a protien rest ( even accidently) it could have desroyed some essential prtiens.Happened to me recently.( at least i think so).I overshot my acid rest w/faulty thermometer to blame and landed @ 121 deg f.Discovery was post 25 min.after the fact.  ::)

Based on the information you provided I would have expected a higher ABV and higher OG - for a 5 Gallon batch... so I would agree with the earlier statement that it may have been something with the Mash Schedule or possibly the sparging process.  For a Pale Ale I would mash at between 149-151 and then make sure to get temps to 168 for sparging (either via mash out or batch sparge depending on your process).  For this type of beer I think a single step mash would suffice at 60 minutes. 

Back