• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

How long before lager fermentation starts?

scottpockl

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am lagering my first beer.  I used a yeast starter but only had it going for about 24 hrs.  I am lagering at 55 degrees but have yet to see any activity after 36 hours.  Is this a concern or should one be a little more patient?  Thanks for any insight.

Scott

What yeast did you use? You are fermenting at lager temperature so hopefully you used a good lager yeast suited for that temp. I usually find slow starts to my lagers if I haven't pitched with saved yeast slurry,  even when using a good starter. Make sure your lid / airlock is tight with no leaks, which could look like no activity. Check and recheck. Hopefully your starter was foamy, active  and proof of active live yeast culture. If no activity after 48 hours I would repitch using yeast right from the package.  I like to pitch lager at about 80f and bring the temp down to 55 F asap, a few hours, gives yeast  a jump start and avoids lag time. My last lager, 3 days ago, started within in 6 hours like this using saved yeast slurry.
Splashing and oxygenating cooled wort before pitching is important for lagers as well.

You hit the nail on the head. I was using a brew bucket from ssbrewtech with their lid with built in chiller.  However, one area was leaking and needed another gasket.  Once secured it was very evident that fermentation was going very well.  Used a urequell liquid lager yeast from wyeast. 

Back