• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Infusion Temp will be above boiling?

andrew.grogan1

Apprentice
Reaction score
How come I am getting this message when I try to enter the following step schedule into my mash profile?

mash.png

step.png

Your water is out of balance.  You do not have enough water left after your infusion for the protein rest for the infusion rise to 145F to be achieved without bringing the infusion water higher than the boiling point.  You need to re-balance your water to take some from any sparge water you may have or from your initial infusion water in order to bring the thermal mass of the water being added to bring your mash tun, grains, and mash water up to your selected target temperature.

multiple temperature mash steps are better suited to a mash tun that can be heated- a Stainless kettle. You will have to use less water in the original mash, and take some from sparge water also to allow more for the steps when infusing. Play with the water quantities in each step until you find an agreeable amount for each, and note you will not be able to keep your desired water to grain ratio this way, but thats ok.

For most beer styles, there really is no need to go through the trouble of multiple mash steps for the homebrew scale of things. Modern malted grains convert well without the need for multiple mash steps. I have had good success so far taking the advice of Denny Conn: mash in at your desired mash temp, wait 45 minutes to an hour, batch sparge, move on. I've made good beer that way and if I'm on the ball with it, I'm able to knock my brew day down to 4.5 hours or less, including clean-up with a double batch.

To each his own. For convenience you could just extract brew. Some of us are in it for end results; the joy and pleasure, and want to recreate traditional old style brewing methods. I have done extract brews, brew in a bag, all grain single infusions ,  multiple temperature steps, additional corn mash steps,  and multipile decoction steps.  You kind of progress to advanced methods once you taste the superior results.  I used to race through the brew day, trying to finish as fast as possible. Then I realized I loved brewing and now take my time enjoying every moment, tunes on and enjoying a homebrew while brewing. Extra time and steps are worth it to some.  Wheat beer is not the same without decoction mashing, but yes it can be done with simple infusion mashing. CHEERS

Back