• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

refractometer

Auldyin

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Does anybody know of a refractometer- calcultor ap, I can download to my phone?

Thanks

Beersmith's phone app has a refractometer tool for converting Brix to corrected gravity. What are you wanting to calculate?

My problem is that to date, my beer has been excellent but really far to strong in alcohol, so I have to get my head round controlling this.
As summer approaches, my friends and I will want to consume a reasonable amount of cold beer without falling over, if you know what I mean.
This I know has been caused by my lack of control (lazyness) . I need to get this sorted,
We are not gonna sell the stuff just drink and enjoy it.

If you know the starting gravity, BeerSmith's refractometer tool will allow you to calculate the alcohol content.

One really quick rule of thumb is that the decimal numbers OG of the wort divided by 10 is the approximate abv% of the finished beer. It assumes an all malt beer and about 75% apparent attenuation. So, 1.040 will land around 4.0% and 1.055 around 5.5 and so forth. Not the most accurate prediction (it falls apart with sugar and fruit additions), but it gives you a ballpark for all malt beers.

Right,
I get what you say,
Where do I find the app. on Beersmith to download to my android phone?
I know Northern Brewers have one which is exactly what I want but I want it on my phone, not on my PC?
I have no problem with my brewing techniques a lot of which over the last year or two has been based on taste and smell and the reaction of friends.
I am no scientist and have no desire to become one, I just want to make tasty beer at around the 4% alcohol level.
Special Christmas and Easter beers are different and are no problem as they are big beers and are expected to be so and mine are really popular.

Auldyin said:
Where do I find the app. on Beersmith to download to my android phone?

Well crap. I know you asked about that and I missed it. The alcohol  adjustment calculation isn't part of the mobile app. Hopefully, it'll get added. Perhaps a suggestion is required in that sub forum.

I am no scientist and have no desire to become one, I just want to make tasty beer at around the 4% alcohol level.

Keep your beers to around 1.040 to 1.045 OG (10 to 11 Plato). It's that simple.

Thanks brewfun,

That's what I'm aiming for.
I have ordered a refractometer which appears to be an essential tool and should be delivered shortly.
Hopefully this will help to make controlling the OG easier.
My next brew (this weekend) will be 44 liter batch from a single large mash tun and two 25 liter brew pots.

Be careful with your refractometer... they are all not created equal.  Make sure you calibrate it before using.  It's always good to compare it to your hydromater readings as some will have a variation in readings.  Also, if you find your beer is too strong you can use the dilution tool in Beersmith to determine how much additional water to add prior to completing the boil  to hit a target ABV...  I believe the mobile beersmith app has both tools in it.

Now I'm getting somewhere, but where the devil do I find these apps???

Back