• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Weit fermentation question

G8rMurse

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I just got done brewing a german weit and the fermentation went strong for 2 days and then stopped.  By that I mean my blow off and foam was going nuts and then just stopped and it looks like standard wurt.  Does this mean I should wait it out and it is quietly fermenting or should I move to the secondary?  My OG was 1.048 and the SG I just took yesterday was 1.02.  That gives me a 4.5ish% Alcohol content. 
Just don't want to do things too early.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Do you mean the current gravity is 1.020 or 1.002?  With your starting gravity, you'd be at 3.7% ABV at 1.020 and you'd be at 6% ABV at 1.002.

If you're down to 1.020, you need more time.  You could raise the temperature up about 6-8 degrees F. and slosh the fermenter around to rouse up the yeast and try to get it going again, if you're at the higher gravity of 1.020.

If you're at 1.002, it still needs more time.  I'd still raise the temperature up about 6 degrees F., so that the yeast can clean up after themselves and convert some of the primary fermentation off flavors to more flavorful compounds.

I have found that most wheat beer yeasts are usually very fast fermenting and are done in 3 days. After that you can prime and age . I usually add some lager yeast when priming as the wheat beer yeast do not have longevity.

I have the same problem currently. I brewed the same style beer. My OG was 1.050 and it went down to only 1.030 after two weeks. The fermentation took off at first but died down after about two days. I pitched yeast nutrient and another yeast pack and nothing changed after a total of 3 week in primary. I just transferred it yesterday to a secondary  and it as still at 1.030. Can I fix this?

Possible problems:
1- mash process produced too many non fermentable sugars resulting in heavier body and less alcohol production.  too low temperature, incomplete        conversion before mashout. Iodine testing and thermometer placement and degree of accuracy. check with boiling water and calibrate
2. weak, incorrect strain, or old stale yeast. Even with starter, you wont get good results. proof of activity a must.
3. oxygenation of wort prior to pitching inadequate or non existant. Splash it around when cooled, be sure to stir in plenty of oxygen. After it starts fermenting is too late.
4. fermentation temperature not optimal for strain of yeast used. Make sure the strain you use matches your fermentation temperature or results will be poor.make sure you can maintain a stable temperature.
5. grist grind, water to grain ratio; grain freshness, mash ph not optimal, mash profile not suitable for type of brew and / or grains used , insufficient available ions for optimal mash- eg water too soft and not enough minerals present. using spring water helps.

One or a combination of any of these factors will leave your wort hanging at a high gravity. Especially with high percentage of wheat in the grist these factors are critical, and is the reason multiple step decoctions are traditionally used in making wheat beer to address most of these issues.All you can do now is wait it out. most wheat beer yeast require warm temperatures to work, try a heat belt if too cool. As for raising the temperature for diacetyl rest, that can be done when in the bottle after priming. CHEERS!

Yeah I had multiple problems with mash temperature and fermentation temperature. I'm sure this is the cause. I suppose it isn't worth pitching more yeast? or adding some tasteless alcohol like vodka to boost the abv?  It tastes great but it's really weak.

I started a wheat with dry Munich yeast last Saturday, and it took off like a rocket. The next day it was churning away like crazy. I checked the temperature and it was at 72. Way too warm. That's how you make banana-beer.  So I took it downstairs and set up my swamp cooler, and quickly chilled it down to around 60. It's been burping away all week at 56-58 degrees. Still has a good head of white foam. Total fermentation in a couple days sounds like it was too warm. If it ends up tasting like banana, then you will know for sure that it was too warm.

Back