• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Do I need to keep my kegged beer chilled

gvhorwitz

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi,

I've brewed a beer for my nephew's college graduation party which will be in 30 days. I put it into my kegerator so that I could get CO2 into solution. Do I need to keep the kegerator on, or can I unplug it? I'm not planning to use it until the party.

Thanks

Greg

Unless you primed with sugar, you need to keep that liquid gold there cold so if you have a space that is 40-50 or lower great. Otherwise I would keep the kegerator on. You may need to keep the co2 on for a week or so ( at least 3 days cold), or keep pressurizing it back up to 28 psi then turn off co2. Takes 4 or 5 times to absorb, depending on how much headspace the co2 has in the keg.  Otherwise your beer wont carbonate . Check a sample to ensure its where you want it, every few days and before the party. CHEERS

Once it's fully carbonated, I don't think it would do any harm by letting it come up to room temperature. No more harm than storing bottled beer at room temp. We're only talking about a month. It's not like you'll be storing it in a hot garage all summer or something.

try dispensing from a keg kept at room temperature. There is a reason every micro brewery I have toured keep finished product in a cold room. Beer is a food product and cold keeps it fresher longer. Carbonation and dispensing while in a keg are much easier done when kept cold.
To each his own, CHEERS
Tours: Flying monkeys, Muskoka brewery, Port Credit brewery, Brick brewery, Barnstormer brewery, Redline brewery -Ontario Canada

Last year my keg cooler died, and it was almost a year before I replaced it. The keg of ale that was in it sat around in the warm basement the whole time. When I finally got a chance to chill and tap it, it was still good.

Back