• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Fermentation Temp

WillouJ

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys/Gals,

I started brewing about 8 months ago and have gone from kits and now beginning the adventure into all grain.  My goal is to brew great beer consistently and understand the brew process from beginning to end.  One thing that I've ran into when using BeerSmith 2 is the fermentation temperature guides.  I'm not equipped to maintain particular temp's at the front end of the fermentation cycle.  I've researched and as usual there are 1,000 ways to try and achieve desired temps.  On a scale of 1 to 10 just how important is it to maintain these temperatures?  There are so many other factors to consider when brewing beer (water ph, brew temps, time, and ingredient) where would one rank fermentation temp among all of these?  I have a kegerator not in use since I recently built a keezer and could easily add a controller to and place my fermenter inside, but would like some feedback before spending more money (wanna put my bucks where it counts most).

Thanks in advance!

I'd say ferm temp control is about as important as anything.  Of course this is a hobby so spend what you are comfortable with and not more... and I'd suggest putting control up pretty high on the list of priorities.  If not temp control, what would you spend your next bundle of brew cash on?

If you go with the STC-1000 build and have a freezer already, you could pull this one off pretty cheap.

+1  I agree with jtoots.  Fermentation temperature control improved my beer more than any other change that I made.  It made a bigger improvement than when I went from extract brewing to all grain brewing!

^^^This. Using RO water and understanding water additions is up there a ways too.

Mark

On a scale of 1 to 10 just how important is it to maintain these temperatures?

Eleven.

If the temperature is too cool, the yeast simply won't ferment. If it is too warm you will get undesirable flavors. I find it's best to ferment on the low-end of the suggested temperature range for the strain you are using.

Personally I use a swamp-cooler if temperatures are too warm. I put my carboy in a plastic tote with a few inches of water (and a few drops of bleach to keep stuff from growing in it), and then drape a towel over it, making sure the towel makes contact with the water. As the water wicks and evaporates, it chills the contents of the carboy.  That by itself will lower the temperature a few degrees below ambient. If that isn't enough I'll point a fan at it. I've managed to keep my brew ten degrees below room temperature that way.  It's cheap and reliable. Or you can spend a bunch of money.

Just to add to the comments above:  Yeasts have a significant effect on the flavor of your beer and the flavor profile of a particular strain of yeast can be highly dependent upon the fermentation temperature.  If you want to achieve consistency in your recipes, it is vital to have a consistent temperature profile which which you ferment that particular recipe.

All - very much appreciate the feedback from each of you.  I'm already enjoying the tools afforded with Beersmith and can see that the forum is active and definitely a valuable resource. Cost is always a factor with homebrewing - but it also an awesome hobby!!!

Try insulating a small space such as garage, basement room, etc. Insulating will greatly moderate your temperature.
You can then brew according to the relative temperature you can maintain in the ferment room- lager when  cold, ales when warmer.

Example: I insulated my whole attached garage including overhead door and wired in a cheap radiant heater to a thermostat control. The heater is aimed at the fermenter about 10 feet away. The area maintains 40- 45 degrees F from october through early May and I ferment lagers during this period. Once summer starts the area goes up to 60 -70 (in june) so I brew ales. July and august usually gets 70 plus, so no fermenting then unless I carry the brew down to the basement.
So I usually brew excess all winter to store up lagers, make wheat beer in spring, make cream ale with additional corn mash in june.
Trappist quad ale ferments in basement at 68 f anytime during the year- Air conditioned house.

My garage never goes below freezing even during extended minus 25 cold snaps (I'm Canadian eh) and never really goes above 75 during hot 90 degree summer heat spells. Didnt cost more than a few hundred dollars for fibreglass pink, , 3/4" pink foam board glued to each door section,  $65 hanging radiant quartz heater, $20 electric baseboard thermostat. I gave the door spring a few extra turns to make up for increased weight.

Back