• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Batch Sparge VS Fly Sparge?

metalist

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello,

Please

Help explain the advantages and disadvantages between Batch Sparge and Fly Sparge  then with any better results.

Thnaks alot

Aside from claims about time, ease or tradition, it comes down to mash geometry. The shape of your mash bed will determine the best sparge method.

When mashing in a cooler, more horizontal surface area is available, letting the water move through the grain bed evenly. The water doesn't have too far to go, so it percolates through the grain without compacting it. Fly sparging makes sense here because it keeps an even head pressure on the grain and the grain has more contact time, yielding more sugar.

When mashing in a kettle or keg, the mash is taller than wide, so the water has a tendency to compact the grain bed and seek the path of least resistance, which is usually the side walls. In this configuration, batch sparging makes sense because the water is remixed with the grain (usually stirred), which equalizes sugar distribution. Allowing the water to sit with the grain for 10 minutes pulls sugar out and multiple batches increase efficiency.

thanks, brewfun

i got it,  summary  fly sparge method better than batch sparge in my case i use cooler Rectangular shape size 45 Liter

Before you start spending money on a fly sparging setup, read this:  http://dennybrew.com/

Notice than Brewfun started his reply with, "Aside from claims about time, ease or tradition..." I've done fly sparges a few times and found it was too time consuming. I switched to batch sparges for a few years and now do almost all my beers as no-sparge. I'm lazy. I've also read claims that no-sparge brewing emphasizes malt character. I've also read claims that some brewers prefer low-efficiency brews. Either or both may be true, but the ease of brewing is what I care about.

Back