• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Newbie needs some guidance

Erik_Mog

Apprentice
Reaction score
Howdy all.  Brand new home brewer her, and need a bit of guidance.  I want to set up an equipment profile to use for creating recipes.  I will be doing 5 gallon batches, using an 8 gallon brew pot.  I would like to do it as a full boil, with out having to add water to the fermenter.  I could use some help in setting up a starting Equipment profile for an 8 gallon pot.  I don't know what numbers I would need to change in an existing profile and what numbers to leave alone.  Any help would be appreciated.  Forgot to mention, I am doing Extract, and will occasionally be steeping specialty grains.

Hey Erik,

Welcome aboard and good luck with your new hobby

About the only thing you will need to deal with when doing extract brews is boil off and loss to trub.  For my 8 gal pot I loose 1.5 gal per hour and leave less than 1qt to trub.  The rest is really geared towards All Grain as it relates to your mash tun, grain absorption...

Good luck
Rick

Mofo said:
Check out Pat's excellent post on setting up your equipment profile.

That post explained a lot, and gave a good starting point.  Since I will only be doing extract with occasional specialty grains, I can ignore anything in the profile about the mash?

Back