• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

citra hop leaf

BILLY BREW

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Been getting some mixed reviews and advice regarding doing an IPA with all Citra hops.
Statements like "cat pee" and "litter box" aroma's have been bantied about.
What is the real story? I am doing my very first IPA. Always steered away from them as they seemed all to have a grapefruit characture, which I am not fond of. The Citra touts itself to be tropical fruit and citrus, but no mention of grapefruit or cat pee...
Looking to do 1 oz 60 1 oz 30 1/2 ox 10 1/2 ox 5 & 1 oz secondary.
Can I get some feed back?

I have several recipes that feature Citra as the main or only hop and have never gotten any 'cat pee' or 'litter box' aromas or flavors out of it. 

That said, it is an agricultural product and most likely varies from crop to crop, location to location. 

I don't agree with that aroma when it comes to Citra, but hey... sometimes once you get one of those in your head it's impossible to ignore.

One thing to consider would be to shift your hops away from 30 and 10 minutes... I've recently been doing Mash-in, steep at about 170 degrees, and dry hop only.  What IBUs are you going for?

jtoots said:
I don't agree with that aroma when it comes to Citra, but hey... sometimes once you get one of those in your head it's impossible to ignore.

I am living proof of that. One day while working on my truck I got a great big whiff of exhaust fumes and I swear, for 3 months after that I smelled exhaust fumes all the damned time, it about drove me to drink.

And my friends now I am a home brewer.  lllooooooollll

I dry hopped it at day 5 to day 12. It was very good with no off aromas. You also need a very good grainbill- a diverse and well matched malt backbone for these super flavour hops to shine through. My Citra Ipa used other hops as well, its on the cloud.

Back