• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Yeast Starter

palmer_eldritch

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I am making a yeast starter from a pack of Wyeast 2035. Beersmith tells me that I need 500billion cells. So I went ahead and made up a 2 liter starter. If i am correct this should give me 200Billion cells? Then I decanted off and added another 2 liters of wort. According to various charts that should give me 300 Billion cells? That is where i am stuck? Can i just carry on doing this 2 more times to get 500 billion? Or does the restrictive size of 2 liters(i only have a 2l flask) make this impossible? Any help would be appreciated.

The problem with stepping up so high and only one flask is that there is a diminishing yield/growth of yeast with each successive addition of fresh wort, due to the already high cell count.  Your best bet is to make the first step at 2-liters and then divide the resultant slurry in half and repeat with each half at 2 liters.  This should get you up to around 400 bil cells.  Then split and repeat one of the flasks for your last 100 bil cells required.

OR, what I usually do is make a small batch of a low to standard %ABV beer, since the above will require 8 liters of starter wort (a little over 2 gallons) and use the yeast cake from the small batch for the larger batch.

Thanks, I thought as much. I like your idea of  making a small batch (10L or so) then reusing the yeast cake. You can never have enough beer after all!

Back