• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Steeping Bitterness %

andyn2001

Brewer
Reaction score
Hi there,

I steep my hops after the boil has finished and I wait until temp has recduced to 70C before adding then leave for 15mins. I have only just noticed that the %Bitterness is a setting and the default is 50%. How can I work out what % to set this when leaving wort temp to decrease to 70C before adding the hops?  I assume the 50% default is for adding hops as soon as boil has finished?

You're correct that the 50% default is based on adding WP hops at flame out. You can adjust this to whatever utilization percentage you think fits your circumstances.

All WP calculations are estimates. If you look around, you'll see many differing opinions about where the slope for utilization starts/stops. It's important to note that the IBUs calculated use the same formulas as in the boil. This may not be accurate for the WP because so many variables are different between them, but it appears to be close enough.

Thanks Brewfun, I have gone for 25% seeing as I wait until wort temp is 70C before steeping.....there is some sort of logic there!

Back