• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Significant flavor change after bottling

PeteS99

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I wonder if other brewers have experienced that after fermentation you have a great tasting beer and then when you bottle it leave it for a couple of weeks for carbonisation, the taste changes, but not to the better but to the worse, getting strong ester flavors in the beer.
It has happened to me on 3 different IPA batches (always a bit different grain bill/hops) using Safale US05 strain and also a lager batch I did (Brewferm Lager).

I am using glucose for priming and I am carefully cleaning & sanitizing throughout the process

any inputs or guidance is highly appreciated as I am not sure where to look further.

There can be many things going on.

First, carbonation itself does alter the flavors of the beer.  Highly carbonated beers will tend to have an impression of lighter body and can give a carbonic acid bite to the finish.

Second, especially with highly hopped  or hop forward beers the hop bitterness, aroma, and flavor will change with time.  Many of the popular commercial IPAs or DIPAs are often best when served 'green' and the hop oils dominate the nose and taste buds.

Third, oxidation is most often not our friend, except perhaps in old ales and those beers meant for long storage.  Sherry-like aromas and flavors, metallic aftertastes, and a buttery texture are often contributed to oxidative reactions developing after bottling.  Minimizing splashing and foaming during transfers from primary to secondary and in the bottling stage can minimize, but not eliminate oxidation from occurring.  As home brewers, we pretty much have it to some degree unless you invest in a totally closed system and CO2 or N2 purges.  Since you are developing ester flavors, I would think that this is the most likely cause of your particular issue.

Lastly, contamination from wild yeasts or bacteria can also produce off-flavors.  Loss of malt complexity, thinning of the body, increasing carbonation over time (possibly leading to bottle bombs) can be signs of even slight contamination.

And it just may be the nature of the recipe.  In my experience, many of the darker styles tend to get a little better with age as the malt flavors continue to mature and smooth out.  Lighter styles, especially hop forward or dominated beers, will shift in balance as noted above.

I'm thinking that I may be missing something, but I'm sure that if I am someone will jump in to add to what I have written.

Back