• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Modified Equipment Profile to existing recipe

lgranb01

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hello- I am hoping some more experience BeerSmith users can assist me.  I am new to the tool, though I have been all grain brewing for awhile. 

I guess the ultimate question is this- do I create a new recipe in BeerSmith each time I brew the same recipe?  What prompted me to ask is I brewed yesterday and found I needed to make some equipment profile changes as I did not yield the proper amount of wort.  When I did that in my existing recipe, it did not change the amount of mash/sparge water required (modifications I made should have increased both).  I then began to wonder if I must create a new recipe each time I brew the same beer.

I am sure there is a simple answer here, but my inexperience with the tool has me baffled.  Feedback is appreciated.

Thanks...Lou

For making a copy of a recipe for a brew day, you can highlight the recipe in the folder and then click on 'copy to log'.  This will make a folder labeled 'brew log' and place a duplicate copy of the recipe in that folder.  You can then make changes which will not affect the main recipe and add brew day data to that copy in the Brew Log folder.

When you make a change to an equipment or mash profile outside of a recipe, it will not affect any recipes which have already been created.  If you make a change within a particular recipe, it will affect only that recipe unless you click on the disk icon next to the profile of the recipe you have open.  I append a date onto the equipment profile for when I have last changed it so that I can easily identify if a recipe has been 'upgraded' to the latest version. 

As to changing the equipment profile within a recipe and that not changing the amount of water required, I would need to know what was changed in order to help further.

Back