• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

New to beersmith need help converting from ProMash

balvey

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I've been brewing off and on for over 10 years now, used ProMash for about 7 of those years and just switched over to BeerSmith 2. I liked the concept of having Recipes that you used to create a brew day. From what I've seen with using BeerSmith, you don't necessarily create a brew day out of a recipe that you reuse.

It seems to me that I'll lose notes and variations if I want to re-brew a particular beer. How do you get around this? Just copy a recipe and rename it? Not real fond of that approach. :(

Hello Balvey,

What I am doing is I created a folder within BS2 for the year im brewing in. Then, I create a base recipe in the "My Recipes" folder.  Once the recipe is created and I'm ready to brew, I simply copy the recipe into the current "Year 2016" folder.  This way, I am able to keep notes on that particular brew. I can also duplicate it if I choose to into another year, month, week, or any other method you prefer for keeping track of your recipes.  I can then refer back to it anytime in the future.  I understand what you refer to as "brew day".  I also used a software package before and it used "batch" as a method of keeping track of your "brew day".  I think, however, you will find the suggestion I have offered to be useful and it should solve concern.  The process is simple and seamless.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    68.7 KB · Views: 444
Welcome to BeerSmith and the forum!

You can create various recipe folders for any sort of organization you need. Once you decide to brew a recipe, you can click the "Copy to Log" button found hidden in plain sight, right in the middle of the home ribbon. BeerSmith will create a brewlog folder if one doesn't already exist. Simply change the brew date and then add all the notes and measurements as you go. Now the recipe is a standalone record of what you brewed. BeerSmith allows multiple copies of identically named recipes, but you can sort by date to record your latest batch.

Pro Tip 1: When creating new recipes, give them all an old date (I use 1/1/01). When it's copied to the brew log, this date can be sorted to the top for easy access.

Pro Tip 2: Create a basic recipe that has all of your preferred profiles and common ingredients. Clear all of the measured fields and notes. Then click "Set As Default." Now, each time you add a new recipe, your equipment, fermentation and carbonation profiles are in place, plus all the tedious ingredients like Irish moss and yeast are preset.

Back