• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Style Guides - can i use 2?

fletcher

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi guys,

In the options, I often use the guidelines from the BJCP 2015 for my beers, but also use the AABC 2010 often as i make many Aussie style beers. Is there any way of selecting just those 2, rather than individually, or including the old BJCP and FADOL ones?

Ie, can those ones be deleted? If so, how?

i mean that when you select which display style guidelines you want to use
(in the options menu under 'brewing'), you can choose either 1 of them, or all of them. i want to just choose 2. i currently have 4 possible options. bjcp 2008, aabc 2010, bjcp 2015 and fadol 2007.

bjcp 2015 and aabc 2010. i don't want to use the fadol 2007 or bjcp 2008. so i want to know if i can remove these last two from being options. in this way i hope to be able to then 'select all' and it will only mean i'm using the two i want to.

hope that makes sense.

You can permanently remove the guidelines that you don't want. It's a bit of a pain, but you'll only need to do it once.

In BeerSmith, go to Options and choose to view All Style Guides.

Then: File > Open File > ...Documents/BeerSmith2 > Style1. This will open a backup styles database.

You may need to add a column to see which guidelines are associated with the styles. This is accomplished by right clicking the column bar in the window, then adding "Style Guide."

You can now delete the guidelines you don't want to see. This is a permanent change to the database, so don't delete more than you need to. Once complete, close the window and click "yes" to save. Then close BeerSmith.

Go to ...Documents/BeerSmith2 and find Style. You'll see this and more with added 1-5. These are backups. BeerSmith reads the Style file when it opens and creates backups of all databases when it closes. The Style1 backup should be the one you modified. It'll be a significantly smaller file than any of the others.

Delete Style and rename Style1 to Style. When you reopen BeerSmith, your Options will still read "All Style Guides," but your choices should be limited to only the styles you want to see.

I'm not really a fan of destructive editing, but it's the only real way to accomplish what you're asking. I'd make a backup of the Style database just in case of any future needs. It can easily be inserted.

Back