• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Adding New Malt Profiles

kujiraokaes

Apprentice
Reaction score
I've noticed that many hops are not included in BeerSmith2.  I've added all the malts as part of the "add-on" feature but still need to add many more.  Does a reference guide exist that includes malt profiles that can be added to BeerSmith2?  For example, I'm trying to add California Select Malt to BeerSmith.  I've found some information but can't find the follow parameters:

Potential(SG)
Yield(%)
Coarse/Fine Difference(%)

As long as maltsters continue to develop new malts, there will be gaps in the grain database. As long as new hops are developed, there will be gaps in the hops database.  BeerSmith offers a baseline of ingredients, and it's up to the user to round that out according to their own need and use. Many of the updates available are there because of users taking the time to complete the research and share them with the rest of us.

For California Select, I have the potential of 1.038 (yield and potential are cross calculated) and a C/F difference of 1.1%. Diastatic power is 121, moisture is 4.5% and protein is 11.2, this year.

Awesome, I really appreciate the help with this.  We're going to brew a Simcoe SMaSH IPA today with this California Malt.

Are you able to tell me how you found this specific information?  I'd like to due my own research in the future.  thank you

Many times the producer has the information available on-line, but not always.  When they don't, I have written to them and received the specification or latest lot analysis sheets which have most, if not all, of the information needed to plug them into BeerSmith.  I have yet to find one who has not responded to me in a favorable manner.

kujiraokaes said:
Are you able to tell me how you found this specific information?  I'd like to due my own research in the future.  thank you

Malt lot analysis sheets. They're available pretty much as Oginme pointed out. I happen to brew for a living, so getting them with each new lot is obligatory.

Back