• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

1/4" FFL to 3/16" Barb

dmcmillen

Apprentice
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a source for a 1/4" FFL (Female Flare) swivel to 3/16" barb?

We all use a 1/4" FFL to 1/4" barb for our liquid lines connection to the quick disconnect at the keg end but it's a real pain to insert a 1/4" barb in the 3/16" tubing especially if you're using thick wall tubing. You've got to insert the tubing into boiling water to make that happen.

I can find a 3/16" barbed tailpiece that connects to the shank end but I have not been able to find a 1/4" flare swivel that has a 3/16" barb. McMaster-Carr doesn't. The one Midwest supplies says is 3/16" barb is actually 1/4".  ChiCompany has a 5/32" but that's too small.

Anyone gotten lucky here?

Yes and no. If you can screw a 1/4" male pipe thread into your set up, you can get an adapter that will go from 1/4" pipe thread to male oxygen B. Then you can connect your hose to the male oxygen adapter using a B nut and a nipple (barb). These nipples come in sizes from 1/8" to 3/8"  BY 1/16ths of an inch.
Everything should be available at a welding supply store. I just paid less than $4.00 for two B nuts and two 3/16" barbs or nipples as they call then, but created some suspicion because I had the Corny keg fitting at the other end of the tubing. I don't think they had ever seen such a thing and wanted to know if I was trying to hook up to medical oxygen. Even though I wasn't and paid cash, I had to sign my name and print my name on a receipt saying that I absolved them of all liability in my usage of the nuts and nipples. Crazy new world :) 

dmcmillen said:
Does anyone know of a source for a 1/4" FFL (Female Flare) swivel to 3/16" barb?

We all use a 1/4" FFL to 1/4" barb for our liquid lines connection to the quick disconnect at the keg end but it's a real pain to insert a 1/4" barb in the 3/16" tubing especially if you're using thick wall tubing. You've got to insert the tubing into boiling water to make that happen.

I can find a 3/16" barbed tailpiece that connects to the shank end but I have not been able to find a 1/4" flare swivel that has a 3/16" barb. McMaster-Carr doesn't. The one Midwest supplies says is 3/16" barb is actually 1/4".  ChiCompany has a 5/32" but that's too small.

Anyone gotten lucky here?
Agree with lower post, not sure if you are going to find this, however I would start with amazon, here https://www.amazon.com/Barbed-Swivel-Nut-Flare-Barb/dp/B006O93CHE/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1471821302&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=1%2F4%22+FFL+%28Female+Flare%29+swivel+to+3%2F16%22+barb and get in tough with the company that makes them, they may have an off the shelf solution for you.

Back