• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Imperial Stout "No carbonation yet"

rjfvt

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi all,
I brewed an Imperial stout with a ABV of 10.2. I primed the 5 gallon batch with 6 ounces of maple syrup, this was a little more than the brewers calculator said to use. The bottles have been conditioning for two months and no carbonation has started yet. 

Thanks
Rick

It is stored in the basement and the temp is about 67 to 70 degrees. Some of the other forums suggested:
Adding yeast and recapping,
Moving them to a warmer storage area to at least 70 degrees,
Giving it six months to carbonate due to the high 10.2 ABV
I’m going to move the beer to a warmer place and give it another month. If their still flat I’m going to put my beer in a keg and order a beer gun that way it will be carbonated and I can bottle a few to give away.

Yeah big beers can take some time in the bottle.

I have a 12% Quad that's been sitting around in the bottle since March. I opened one a couple weeks ago and it still wasn't ready. Might not try it till the fall now. Sucks cause I brewed it last December, but it'll definitely be worth it.

Definitely try to store it at 70. Might work faster.

Back