• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

first running/ double mash

solo103

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I had a quick question on trying to figure out my numbers on a double mash first running's Imperial Stout.

6 gallon batch so i'll need about 8.5 gallons pre boil
I was going to do 2 mashes, each around 25 lbs of grain at 1.3-1.5qt per lb. Dough in and mash for 60 min then drain completely into the kettle and empty mashtun and repeat to get to my 8.5g pre boil vol. I'm trying to figure out how to get my est gravity #'s for each mash and set it up in beer smith but I'm not having any luck. I'm guessing there's some way to do this since it would be similar to getting the numbers for the first Gyle if I was doing a parti gyle batch. Everything I have looked up on first running beers or no sparge beers always seems to add the sparge water volumes in like it was going to be a full batch (like brew in the bag method) but that's not what I'm trying to figure out. Any advice on how to set it up in beer smith? hope I explained it well enough.

This has a calculator that your looking for. The only way I was able to log it in Beersmith was by my mash efficiency. basically logged a recipe with 50% Mash Efficiency and then another copy with 20%.

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Batch_Sparge_and_Party_Gyle_Simulator

It sounds like two, 3-gallon no-sparge batches. Am I missing something?

Back