• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Reverse recipe lookup

Wangdoodle

Apprentice
Reaction score
I've had a look through the suggestions and cannot see this specifically mentioned.

I'm now at a stage having done a few AGBs where I have lots of smaller bags of grains that I want to get rid of, but not sure of a recipe to follow.

Is there a way (or can there be in a future release) to do a reverse query where you put down what ingredients you have and the available recipes are filtered to things that you only have the grains for?

Using iPhone version currently and could not see a way of doing this, not on the website.

Greetings Wangdoodle,

I have been in the same situation.  So, what I have done is gone by experience.  I don't, and never have, used recipes.  I always create my own after reading the style description in BJCP.  I typically start with a base malt (my preference is Maris Otter) and add from their using a particular BJCP style as a benchmark.  Without knowing exactly what malts you have in your stash, its hard to make a recommendation. So run with your experience and instinct.  You may surprise yourself.

Now, to answer your question as I understand it, you want to search a database based on an ingredient. Have you tried searching the BeerSmith database using the name of the malt in your stash?

KellerBrauer said:
Greetings Wangdoodle,

I have been in the same situation.  So, what I have done is gone by experience.  I don't, and never have, used recipes.  I always create my own after reading the style description in BJCP.  I typically start with a base malt (my preference is Maris Otter) and add from their using a particular BJCP style as a benchmark.  Without knowing exactly what malts you have in your stash, its hard to make a recommendation. So run with your experience and instinct.  You may surprise yourself.

Now, to answer your question as I understand it, you want to search a database based on an ingredient. Have you tried searching the BeerSmith database using the name of the malt in your stash?

'noon KB, and thanks for the top tip.

Well I'd admit, the temptation was there just to start throwing things in with some rough weights and vague percentages, but thought I'd try and be  a bit more scientific about it!

Maris Otter is also my preference base malt. In the barrel of grains there is all sorts, usually around 100-200g or each, covering things like;
- flaked barley
- flaked maize
- malted oats
- chocolate malt
- dark malt
- biscuit malt
- Crystal malt (usually quite a bit of this)

To give you an idea of what I had in mind as a reverse lookup query, check this website:
http://www.webtender.com/cgi-bin/imbselect
...where you basically say what is in your drinks cabinet, and it tells you what cocktails you can make. Something like this would be great I think, as its a good way of clearing stocks of older grain, plus it helps cut through LOADS of recipes by just focusing on what you can make with what you've got, without buying more.

Back