• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Serving from a corny keg

stcampbell

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've had some foaming issues trying to serve a couple of different batches from a corny.  Both batches were force carbonated for a little over a week.  I have tried using a line that is several feet long, and chilled the beer to almost freezing.  It was more manageable when both of these things were tried, however, there was still a lot of foam.  I did some reading and tried to use counterpressure, but I had the same results.  I have tried using a low pressure to serve (around 3-4 psi) but it is painfully slow.  I have also tried to increase serving pressure to around 20-25 psi, but it is just too turbulent.  Any ideas?  Am I missing something obvious?
Many thanks, and happy brewing to all!

I have been dispensing from corny's for about 20 years now and these are my findings from experience.
Carbonation at 28 psi takes about 2 to 3 days, longer is overcarbed.

Use thick wall certified beer tubing for lines, keep at about 8 psi, after a few weeks release pressure to even less so that the beer just pours out. bump up pressure as needed. After several weeks the beer absorbs too much CO2, Overcarbed beer needs pressure released and dispensed with keg pressure only or foam will occur. I never really needed to dispense lightning fast so slow shouldn't be an issue if it's foam free.

Never shake or roll kegs around to carbonate or half your beer will be dispensed as foam.
Lines should be short, around 4 feet. Some people have success increasing line length to help with this issue, there are a few web articles on line length, rise, pressure and pressure drop and optimizing all for good dispense quality.

Ensure inside your tower is well insulated; and all lines are kept cold. some folks  install a small fan inside to cool the tower further. I tried that but once you get everything dialed in I find that  tower cooling is not needed. Use a quality beer tap and keep it and lines meticulously clean.  Open the tap fully every time. Don't be afraid and partially open it as that will certainly create excess foam. For a short line picnic tap, remove pressure completely and open tap fully. CHEERS!

I found a general practice is to force carb for 2 days at 20 PSI.  Then reduce the PSI to 8 for serving.  Had very good success.

Back