Author Topic: Which SS conical to purchase?  (Read 3227 times)

Offline tundrajv

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Which SS conical to purchase?
« on: July 17, 2016, 05:12:22 PM »
Hello everyone.  I'm ready to make the move away from my glass carboys and into a SS conical fermenter.  I've been eyeballing the offerings from SS Brewing and Blichmann, but given the cost involved, I want to be sure I make an educated decision before I make this purchase.  I would like to have enough capacity to ferment 10g batches and possibly 1/2 BBL as well.  I'm leaning toward the SS Brewing unit.  Does anyone have any experience with these products?  Can you go too big with a fermenter?  I get that racking might pose a challenge given the extra head space, but are there any other disadvantages I should be aware of?  Are there any other options that I should consider?

Offline bzomerlei

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Re: Which SS conical to purchase?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 11:58:53 AM »
I have a 14 gallon Fermanator from Blichmann.  It is the tri-clamp version.

It performs very well for both 5 gallon and 10 gallon batches.  I really appreciate the ease of disassembly of the tri-clamp fittings.

One thing to consider regarding the size is related to temp control, make sure the unit will fit inside a freezer or refrigerator if you are planning on going that way.  I need to make custom legs for mine so it would stand high enough to gravity feed a corny keg.  The add-on legs from Blichmann were too long to fit into the chamber.

Offline Master

• BeerSmith Brewer
  • It's not madness, it's SCIENCE!
Re: Which SS conical to purchase?
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 07:47:51 AM »
I bought an SS Brewtech 14 Gallon BrewMaster Edition.

I modified it slightly to put the chill coil lower in the unit so it's usable for 5 and 10 gallon batches.

I have a 10 gallon batch of BitterJO IIPA in there now..

So far, I'm impressed. I'm using the 2 stage FTSS system.

They come in two levels, Standard and BME. If you are going to go with the cooled/heated version, the cost differential for the BME is next to nothing. The Ferment Temp Stabilization System is way cheaper for the BME,  as the coil already comes with it.

I was just around $1000 all in, with a bunch of optional stuff, extras etc.

The pricing on them seems to be about the same everywhere. I bought direct from them since they have free shipping.

If you are just going to put it in you fridge, or you don't need temp control, the $400 7 gallon standard is pretty hard to beat. 14 is $500ish but may or may not fit in your fridge/chest freezer.

modification