• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Which SS conical to purchase?

tundrajv

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.  I'm ready to make the move away from my glass carboys and into a SS conical fermenter.  I've been eyeballing the offerings from SS Brewing and Blichmann, but given the cost involved, I want to be sure I make an educated decision before I make this purchase.  I would like to have enough capacity to ferment 10g batches and possibly 1/2 BBL as well.  I'm leaning toward the SS Brewing unit.  Does anyone have any experience with these products?  Can you go too big with a fermenter?  I get that racking might pose a challenge given the extra head space, but are there any other disadvantages I should be aware of?  Are there any other options that I should consider?

I have a 14 gallon Fermanator from Blichmann.  It is the tri-clamp version.

It performs very well for both 5 gallon and 10 gallon batches.  I really appreciate the ease of disassembly of the tri-clamp fittings.

One thing to consider regarding the size is related to temp control, make sure the unit will fit inside a freezer or refrigerator if you are planning on going that way.  I need to make custom legs for mine so it would stand high enough to gravity feed a corny keg.  The add-on legs from Blichmann were too long to fit into the chamber.

I bought an SS Brewtech 14 Gallon BrewMaster Edition.

I modified it slightly to put the chill coil lower in the unit so it's usable for 5 and 10 gallon batches.

I have a 10 gallon batch of BitterJO IIPA in there now..

So far, I'm impressed. I'm using the 2 stage FTSS system.

They come in two levels, Standard and BME. If you are going to go with the cooled/heated version, the cost differential for the BME is next to nothing. The Ferment Temp Stabilization System is way cheaper for the BME,  as the coil already comes with it.

I was just around $1000 all in, with a bunch of optional stuff, extras etc.

The pricing on them seems to be about the same everywhere. I bought direct from them since they have free shipping.

If you are just going to put it in you fridge, or you don't need temp control, the $400 7 gallon standard is pretty hard to beat. 14 is $500ish but may or may not fit in your fridge/chest freezer.

Back