• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Removing Soda Smell from Kegs

BeerSmith

Staff member
Administrator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hi all,
 Came across a few used kegs by chance last week, and was wondering if anyone had any solid advice on gettting rid of the soda smell?

I usually clean them with soap/water and sanitize with some iodophor, but I think these kegs are going to need a little bit more.  Obviously I will disassemble them - but what can I soak things in to totally get rid of the soda smell?

Thanks,
Brad

Some say to use TSP and hot water. I bought some to clean some syrupy kegs I picked up, but opted just to use some hot water at high pressure. Fill the kegs halfway up with hot water after rinsing them a couple of times, put the lids on, and let them soak overnight, flipping them unto their heads after awhile. This will get most of the smell. Replacing the seals is important, because that's where much of the syrup hangs on. After a batch or two of beer in them, you won't smell any more syrup.

Yeah, replace the o-rings and that will get rid of most of the smell. If it's pretty bad, you might also have to replace the poppets, but that's extreme. Also, take out the pressure release valve and soak it and clean out the hole -- there's often an amazing amount of gunk in there!

As for cleaning, PBW does wonders. Follow that with a StarSan soak, and you'll be in great shape.

Any limit to the amount of time I can leave it soaking in PBW or TSP?  I think I have some TSP here in the house somewhere.

I have extra rings so that is no problem.

Cheers!
Brad

Yes to PBW too... it's what I ended up using to get most of the grime off.

RE: TSP... It's pretty caustic stuff, so I don't think it would require too long of a soak. A brewer over at HBA says that he uses 1/4-1/2 cup in a gallon of water, and just sloshes it around for a little bit. Drain, rinse it a few times, sanitize... rock.

Don't know about TSP, but I've left things soaking in PBW for a month or more without any problem. Brass and tubing doesn't like long soaks, but stainless doesn't have any problem.

I just got some 3 gallon kegs and had the same problem.  One thing to remember is that Firestone kegs come with a lot of plastic parts.  plastic dip tube, which I'removing and not replacing, and plastic washers in the dip tubes, also need to be replaced.

cheers,
borny

Back